XIAM007

Making Unique Observations in a Very Cluttered World

Wednesday 16 February 2011

Man ordered to pay thief he caught red-handed - was charged with false imprisonment and ordered to pay the crook $1,350 -

Man ordered to pay thief he caught red-handed - was charged with false imprisonment and ordered to pay the crook $1,350 -
Peter Lawson/eastnews.co.uk


The owner of a flooring business who paraded a thieving employee through town with a placard proclaiming his crime was charged with false imprisonment and ordered to pay the crook compensation.
Simon Cremer frogmarched Mark Gilbert, 40, through the streets of Witham in Essex, eastern England, after he discovered the father-of-three had written out a cheque for £845 ($1,350) to himself. But Mr. Gilbert only received a police caution after the case collapsed. He then launched a civil suit, claiming for two years’ lost earnings and compensation for the “distress” he suffered as a result of the October 2008 incident.
The case was due to be heard this week. But after Mr. Cremer learned he would be on the hook for £25,000 ($40,000), he settled out of court, agreeing to pay his ex-employee £5,000 ($7,970). He still has incurred £8,000 ($12,760) in legal fees. “I think it’s absolutely disgusting that he was even able to sue me after he had stolen from me to be honest,” Mr. Cremer told The Daily Telegraph.
“I don’t want to give him a penny after what he did, so it really sticks in my throat.” In court papers, Mr. Gilbert, who was employed by Mr. Cremer as a fitter, claimed he had suffered trauma and distress and needed psychological help after the incident.
He also said he had suffered marks, bruises, a black eye and rope burns, and had been taunted since his photograph had appeared in local and national newspapers.
“I feel for the bloke, I respect the bloke but I want him to pay for what he’s done,” he said about the man he stole from. “I went in my local pub and felt a cold shoulder … I probably deserved it for what I did, fair enough, but I wasn’t stealing from him and I paid the money back.”


Read more: http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/02/16/man-ordered-to-pay-thief-he-caught-red-handed/#ixzz1E8Mg61ts

No comments:

Post a Comment